Thursday, September 18, 2014

Homework, the monster

Till the last year, San used to like doing her homework. New school, new notebooks, and a chance to write a lot. That is what San loved. Even though, I always wondered why these little kids are made to do so much homework, which is mostly repetitive writing, I never had to run after San to get it done.

Since the last few weeks, I see her fussing over the amount of homework she's getting. The number of pages is increasing, and so is her frustration. It's a repeat of the classwork and a couple of pages from the workbooks, and that is how it is, I believe, in most of the schools, unless they follow a different style. It pains me to see the little one spend her very precious time doing this homework. This means that she has to sacrifice her daytime nap and some of her playtime, at times. And the dreamy child that San is, she takes her own sweet time, along with all the whining, to write. She actually spends the whole day doing her homework with little breaks in between. Sigh!

She's sitting in front of me right now, writing a bit, chewing on her pencil, looking around, as if looking for an escape from the punishment that homework is.

Sad.

Not fair.

What is the use of making the kids practice writing so much that they start to lose interest in it? Why can't they just increase the school timings for preschools by an hour and make them write some more?

Looking at San, what I really want right now is a monster to appear and eat up all of San's homework! :D



I wonder what other parents feel about this.

P.S. Homework lovers, please don't get offended, and please please please don't tell me how useful it is! ;-)

16 comments:

  1. I agree with u Divy Kids cant be kids anymore .Its all work and learn and need to have good points More and more students get stressy Its already proven. and more and more they have to do what other kids do also as a hobby to belong .Its a crazy world. And i can understand ur feelings very good A huggy from a person who wants to see kids play instead of getting stressed at such young age

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marij, it's a lot of stress for them at this very young age! Huggy to you too!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree!! I don't see the point of so much homework especially at such a young age! Poor San!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not agree with you Divoo.The schools know better.Your affection for your child clouds your mind.Don't ever say "it is enough.Come let us play" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the schools know better, but without realizing its effect on the child's psyche. Do they realize how parents get this load of homework done? And if the child cannot do it, for any reason whatsoever, they get a stupid note in their notebook and diary. I respect your opinion Partha, but right now, it's a Mommy talking. :) :) I still feel that the system needs a big change.

      Delete
  4. Homework for wonderful help with Mum with san's has homework doing very well.
    Still younger age I hope not every days....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michiko. I feel that San is too young to get homework. :) Once a week would be good!

      Delete
  5. LOL.. i would want that homework monster too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The homework cartoon made me laugh. You have a very nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I read not too long ago....in Finland the students don't get homework. What they do there is to pick only the best of the best teachers (top 10), and they don't separate the students by their capabilities...in other words, no special classes for anyone. The teachers get around 12 students each (as opposed to about 20 or more), and this gives them the chance to get to know the students better and, when necessary, they work one on one with the children who need it the most. The graduation success rate in Finland is 96 as compared to 73 in North America!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really nice! I wish they could have a similar system here.

      Delete
  8. He he he. It an old problem coming from decades. I used to finish my homework in the school bus while returning back from school. In in preschools, I dont remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What can I say ... The school program is not perfect!

    ReplyDelete

What do you say? :-)